- Nmap: Nmap is a powerful open source network exploration and security auditing tool that can help identify vulnerabilities in a system. It is widely used for port scanning, version detection, and network mapping. Nmap can also be used for vulnerability scanning by detecting known vulnerabilities in software and services running on a system.
- OpenVAS: OpenVAS is an open source vulnerability scanner that can be used to scan for known vulnerabilities in software and services on a network. It is a powerful tool that can perform comprehensive scans of networks, identify vulnerabilities, and generate reports.
- Metasploit Framework: Metasploit is a popular open source penetration testing framework that can be used to identify and exploit vulnerabilities in systems. It can also be used for vulnerability scanning by running exploit modules that detect known vulnerabilities in software and services.
- Nikto: Nikto is an open source web server scanner that can be used to identify vulnerabilities in web servers and web applications. It can perform comprehensive scans of web servers, identify vulnerabilities, and generate reports.
- Lynis: Lynis is an open source security auditing tool that can be used to scan for security vulnerabilities in Linux and Unix systems. It can identify vulnerabilities in the system configuration, installed software, and system security settings. Lynis is lightweight and easy to use, making it a popular choice for security professionals.
These tools are popular among security professionals because they are open source, free to use, and can be customized to meet specific security needs. They are also regularly updated by their communities, which ensures that they are kept up-to-date with the latest threats and vulnerabilities. Additionally, they are user-friendly and come with detailed documentation and tutorials, making them accessible even to non-experts.