Recently during an engagement, I was able to use OpenVAS in Metasploit to scan a host and conduct a test to see if the system was indeed exploitable. Here is how it was done below:
- To use the OpenVAS integration you need to load the OpenVAS module within msfconsole. Do this by running the command
- load openvas.
- Start by connecting to the server using the command openvas_connect.
- openvas_connect username password 127.0.0.1 9390
- To create a target to scan use the command openvas_target_create. If you want spaces in the name or comment then make sure you place quotations around them.
- openvas_target_create “Local Machine” 192.168.70.128 “My Local Machine”
- Create a task by specifying a target and a configuration. Use the command openvas_config_list to get a list of configurations and the command openvas_target_list to get a list of targets.
- openvas_task_create “Local Scan” “Scan My Local Machine” 0 1
- Start the task with openvas_task_start and watch the progress using openvas_task_list.
- openvas_task_start 0
- Once the scan is finished, the progress is -1, list the available reports using openvas_report_list.
If this was helpful please let me know.